Tuesday, August 25, 2009

saucisse en papillote

Here is our first "French" recipe, although with the sausage it is really more American-French fusion food. In France this sort of dish is traditionally made with fish, like a white sea bass type fish or salmon (not tuna). Here though my mom and I like to make it with sausage, especially since if we go to the right store we can buy a variety of sausage and then make different flavors. Lien, I hope you can get sausage!

4 sausages (like the size of hot dogs, not breakfast ones)
1/2 onion diced
1 lemon sliced
handful of asparagus/greenbeens (whatever veggie you would like to chop and put in with it basically)
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of minced garlic, or 4 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes

optional:
4 cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
or conversely 16 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes (I didn't have any this time so I used real tomatoes)
2 teaspoons of harissa (did not include in this)
1 preserved lemon (can be substituted for the real lemon)

First preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit


Then take out some aluminum foil to make your papillotes. I know papillotes implies paper, but parchment paper just gets too frustrating to fold for this so I always use aluminum foil. So I usually take a chunk of aluminum foil about 10 inches wide. Then you place the sausage in the middle and raise the foil up on all the sizes, so that way your olive oil wont come leaking out. Like this:



Then chop your veggies.

For those of you who don't know here is a peeled onion:



And here are my chopped veggies.



Diced onions, since I had no picture to accompany my very long explanation in the first post:



Then you add your olive oil to the sausage packets. Then all your veggies and garlic and whatnot so it looks like this:



Then wrap it up on top, by curling up the foil so that way the air isn't rushing out of the packets. This way the steam will stay in as well as all the flavors making one hell of a good concoction.



Then put it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes if it is a cooked sausage (as in it comes in the package precooked), or 25-30 minutes if it is an uncooked sausage (this type of sausage will look a lot paler than it's cooked counterparts. I used cook sausages so you can always use that for reference.

While they are in the oven I usually make couscous to go under the done sausage. This time I didn't have any couscous so I just make rice which works just as well. Lien, you have a rice cooker, so I am going to assume you know how to use it. If not...well I can't help you because I don't either. But I can cook rice on the stove!

Once the sausage is finished (you can cut it open with a knife to tell [the aluminum shouldn't be hot to touch when you do this] and then if it is still pink and slightly bloody in the inside if it is uncooked or cold if it is a precooked sausage it isn't ready), then put some rice or couscous on a plate, take your sausage papillote and pour the contents out on top. And then you have a wonderful meal that looks like this:







I hope you guys like it.

4 comments:

  1. i'll have to see if they have sausages when i go to the store this weekend. if so, i'll get my friend to help me with this.

    thanks for the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing, guys!! I love it!!! :D :D :D and the pictures are fabulous! Can I contribute in some way? Any way? please please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really yummy. I should try out French recipes. By the way, I just watched Julie and Julia. Did you watch it yet? I really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww!! I want to see it!! We have not yet. I have been too hesitant to go in case Chris doesn't like it. Also some of our other friends really want to see it, but Sanaa's boyfriend already watched half so...I dunno maybe we will have a girls outing to see it. Otherwise I made Chris promise we would rent it as soon as it was out on DVD :)

    ReplyDelete