Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Burnt Carrot Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese from Food and Wine

My mom made this salad when my aunt came to visit, she is vegan. Since my mom put goat cheese on hers and my dads portion she figured that I would love it as well. Turns out she was right, so despite the fact that it now feels like 100 degrees in my apartment, I am very very happy with the salad. Plus it is a great excuse for me to eat goat cheese! We ate it with slow cooked ropa vieja which was also really good, I'll blog about that one later though.

Ingredients:
8 larger carrots
1 bag of arugula
9 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
4 oz. of goat cheese
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley

Preheat the broiler.

Take your carrots, cut them in half length-wise and then cut them into two inch segments. I just used baby carrots and cut them in half. Put the carrots in a baking dish, like a pirex, and put 3 tablespoons of olive oil on them, the thyme, and then salt and pepper to season. Put them in the broiler for about 3-5 minutes until they are starting to brown. Turn them over and then let the other side brown. They should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside when you take them out. About 5-10 minutes total.

Combine the rest of the olive oil, the vinegar, and salt and pepper. Whisk until the oil and vinegar are intermingled.

Take your arugula and put it in a bowl. Then put the parsley in. Add the carrots, then the goat cheese. Swirl the dressing over it and serve.

Super delicious.

Technically this is all supposed to be done on the barbecue, but I dont have one and it worked just fine this way!


No comments:

Post a Comment