Monday, October 12, 2009

Philly Cheesesteak

I keep craving Philly cheesesteak sandwiches...so I decided to make it at home. I had a lot of veggies at home already, so I just used a little bit to make one sandwich. I was reading recipes that call for ribeye and other good cuts of beef, but I still had a lot of beef round (it was on sale!) in the freezer. Even though that cut of beef is supposedly only good for stewing and braising, I thought it was fine in my sandwich.

Philly cheesesteak (for one sandwich):

1 roll of bread...I had a demi baguette, so that's what I used
1 slice cheese
1 clove garlic
1 mushroom
1/5 bell pepper
1/8 onion
6 ounces of beef. I really don't know how much beef I used. I had thawed out the beef that I had preportioned, sliced it all, and grabbed a handful and threw into the pan.

1. Slice your bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Slice your cheese in half. Slice the beef as thinly as you can (if it's semi-frozen, slicing it a lot easier to do).


2. Slice the clove of garlic very thinly. Butter both sides of your bread, lay the slices of garlic on, and toast.


3. Cook your veggies over medium-high heat. Stir every so often and add some salt, cooking until the mushrooms start to brown and the onions are more translucent. It took less than five minutes for me.


4. Push the veggies to one side of your pan and add the beef. Add salt and pepper to taste. When the beef is almost done cooking, as in the center is still pink, lay the cheese on top of your meat.


5. When the cheese is melted, assemble your sandwich. I actually burned my veggies, but I hope you don't do that. I burned them because I was cooking with high heat...and that's why I'm telling you now to cook it at a lower temperature. I think I'm used to cooking on high because that's what my mom does. So there, it took maybe 20 minutes for me to whip this up and it was yummy.

3 comments:

  1. Ohh Yummy! maybe I will make these for Chris and I for dinner one night next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh, that looks amazing! i guess i'll just have to wait until i get back to the states to try one. i've never had philly cheesesteak before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you not get some steak/beef in the carribean?

    ReplyDelete