Monday, October 26, 2009

Kung Pao Chicken (Rachel style)

Okay here is the updated version of Kung Pao chicken. Bare with me a little bit for the pictures since I need to upload them from my camera. But once I do that matzo ball soup and some awesome Vietnamese burgers will be coming too so the wait will be worth it. :)

Anyways, this is even easier than I remember it. So here are the numbers.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1-1 1/2 tablespoons of sesame oil (depends on how oily/sesame-y you like it)
2 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 teaspoons of corn starch (this last time I used about 1/2 a teaspoon because we had barely any left but it still turned out great so don't worry too much about this it is mostly for the look and consistency.)
1-2 hot chilis like thai or jalapenos, chopped and seeded
2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1-2 stocks of celery chopped
handful of chopped carrots
broccoli or any other veggies you want to add
1/4 cup of dry roasted peanuts

So first mix all the ingredients up to the chicken together in a small bowl. Then I tasted it and added more of what I wanted, like if I wanted it saltier I added soy sauce, sweeter more sugar (mostly because I don't like the hoisin sauce our store had), diluted more water, etc. You want your sauce to be some what opaque so that way it will thicken when you cook it and be like the classic kung pao chicken sauce. If it still looks super clear then add a little more corn starch. I don't remember my exact proportions hence the estimates here, because I did exactly what I described. Also if you want it to be saucier then add more of the liquids and the corn starch. I like saucy things so that is what I did.

Then chop your chicken in to bite size cubes. Add the chicken to the bowl that your sauce was in, or vice versa whichever container is bigger, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. During this time chop your veggies. Again probably about bite size proportions, since after all you are eating this. Also the smaller the pieces the faster they cook so be warned.

Put a skillet on the stove over medium heat to warm up. Add the chicken and cook until you can no longer see the pink/it is not translucent. Then add your veggies and cook until they are cooked as you like (starting to get tender). Take off the stove and serve over rice. The whole cooking on the stove process should take about 15 minutes. Veggies cook slower when not immersed in water.

2 comments:

  1. Okay...I won't judge until the pictures come out =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Hey it tasted good still and looked normal! :)

    ReplyDelete