Thursday, November 12, 2009

Miso Salmon and Lemony Green Beans

I'm trying to recreate dishes that I've had from restaurants. I went to a place called Garlic Joe's in Newport Beach with friends once, and we all liked the miso salmon. I also like green beans from Bucca di Beppo because it's super lemony and perfectly cooked.

Miso Salmon:
1 pound salmon (that's an estimate, I had four good-sized pieces)
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hot water
1 tablespoon miso
splash of vinegar

Lemony Green Beans:
Juice from half a lemon
Zest from said lemon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
half an onion
1 pound green beans

1. OMG my dad cooked my salmon that I was defrosting when I wasn't home! Noooo. Well anyway, take your salmon and lay if on a piece of foil. Set your oven to 450 to broil, as the original recipe said. Today, I used my toaster oven.


2. Mix the rest of the ingredients for the miso sauce. Lay some of the sauce on the bottoms of the fish, and spread some on the top. Reserve some sauce for basting later.

3. Broil for about 12 minutes or until the fish is flaky. Halfway through the broiling, put more miso sauce on top of the fish.


4. For the green beans, start off by microwaving your green beans for about 90 seconds, so that the beans are halfway cooked.

5. Zest your lemon. Combine the juice, sugar, and salt in a bowl. The green beans from Bucca are really lemony, so if the mixture is too sour, add more sugar.

6. Cook the onions in some oil on medium or medium-high until browned. Add the lemon juice mixture and the green beans.


7. When your green beans are almost fully cooked, add the butter. It's ready to serve when the butter melts in.



Taa-daa! Serve with some rice.

3 comments:

  1. so how did it turn out?!?! I want to make the salmon if it was good :)

    not that I don't want to make the green beans, I just already know how to make them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was okay...it didn't carmelize like it was supposed to. I'm not sure if it's the recipe that's off, or bc I used a toaster oven >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. the salmon looks soooo good. i miss eating salmon.

    ...and the weird thing is, i was never all that fond of fish when i lived at home.

    ReplyDelete