Friday, January 15, 2010

Fried Rice

I had a craving to make fried rice. To start off, you have to you leftover rice that has been in the fridge. If it's fresh rice, it'll be too sticky to cook with. I also made two kinds, a soy-sauce one and a curried one. You can put whatever you want in your fried rice. Also, you can do a lot of prep the day before to make it easier on you.


Cook your rice. I made two big batches of rice, about 3 cups of uncooked rice for each. Store overnight in the fridge.

Soy-sauce fried rice
3 cups uncoooked rice
6 dried shitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 cup frozen veggies
1 cup cooked chicken (1 chicken breast)
1/4 cup soy sauce

1. Soak shitake mushrooms in water overnight. The next day, drain the water out. In a wok, heat some oil on high heat. Add the mushrooms and oyster sauce. Mix until the mushrooms are coated. Add enough water until the mushrooms are halfway underwater. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Stir occasionally and heat until all of the water has evaporated. Put the mushrooms in a container and when they are cool, slice or dice the mushrooms. I did this the day before I made the fried rice.

2. Cut chicken breast into bite-sized cubes. Add more oil into the wok (I don't clean the wok in between) and cook the chicken on medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked. I also cooked the chicken the day before.

3. Prepare anything else you want to add. If you have frozen veggies, thaw them out. Slice up some green onion, or make some scrambed egg, etc.

4. Add more oil to the wok and heat on high. Put all of your cold rice in and use a spatula to break up the pieces.

5. Add each ingredient one at a time and stir to mix and reheat. Add the soy sauce a little bit at at time. I didn't measure out how much soy sauce I used...I just added a little bit, mixed it, and looked at the color/tasted it until I liked it.

There's your basic fried rice.


And now for curried fried rice.

3 cups uncooked rice
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 cup chicken
1/2 cup assorted veggies
1/2 cup pineapple

1. Cook your rice and refrigerate overnight.

2. Prepare all of the ingredients you want to add. I cubed another chicken breast and cooked it in some oil and salted it. I thawed out frozen veggies and cut some pineapple into bite-sized pieces.

3. Again, add oil to the wok on high heat. Add your cold rice. The first time, I added the soy sauce after I added all of the other ingredients. It's probably easier to add the soy sauce now. The soy sauce coats the rice more evenly and you can tell by the color if you want more soy sauce or not.
4. Add the curry powder, and mix together. Try to break up the rice as much as possible.

5. Add the chicken, and mix it around to reheat the meat.

6. Add the veggies and mix. Then, add the pineapple and mix.


The curried fried rice was more yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment