Friday, January 15, 2010

Sushi - nigiri and maki

For Christmas, I got a sushi making set from my sister. Here is our first time trying to make sushi...me, my sisters, and Lionel.

Spicy mayo:
enough for 2 or 3 maki rolls
1/2 cup mayo
1 tablespoon sriracha (more if you want it spicier)
3/4 teaspoon soy sauce

Just mix it all together!


Sushi rice:
Enough for 2 maki rolls or about 8 nigiri
1 1/2 cups rice
2 cups water
1/6 cup vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Cook the rice in a rice cooker.
2. While the rice is cooking, heat the vinegar, sugar, and salt on low or medium heat until everything is dissolved. Remove from heat and let the liquid reach room temperature.
3. Spread the rice in a large bowl. Supposedly using a metal bowl is a bad thing (??).
4. Sprinkle the vinegar over the bowl. Fold the rice quickly, trying not to smash the rice. If you can, use a fan to help cool the rice quicker. When the rice is body temperature, the rice is ready.


So it's best to use the rice immediately after it's prepared, so have everything else ready. We chopped up a bag of imitation crab and mixed it with the spicy mayo. We also bought sashimi and seaweed.

Here is our best-educated guess on making maki sushi. You take your seaweed and spread rice, but leave a 3/4 inch border on one edge.


Then, add your fillings and roll! I tried to take pictures of the rolling, but all of the pictures were blurry.



For making the nigiri, wet your hands first, so the rice doesn't stick. Scoop some rice and shape the rice. Put some wasabi on the rice and then put on the fish.

Ta da! Not a whole lot of variation...just spicy crab rolls and nigiri.

2 comments:

  1. yay!! New blogs!! I need to do that. Sadly I have been distracted by Mario and Luigi, Bowsers Inside Story. >< I know shame on me. But I will write about marcarons soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this whole time I thought you were busy doing something productive. >.< Haha, well how is that game?

    ReplyDelete