Thursday, July 14, 2011

Red Wine Pasta Carbonara

I got this delicious pasta from Food and Wine, of course. Since I already loved carbonara finding a recipe that uses two of my favorite things, wine and procuitto/pancetta, seemed like a no brainer to try. I have been cooking it for a while now and just made it for my dad and brother this week. Needless to say I had to fight to have left-overs the next day for lunch! So now I have to post it so Josh can make it when he goes back to school.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 oz pancetta or procuitto cut into strips
1/4 cup of red wine
1 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon of fresh minced garlic

2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I usually add nearly a cup though, we know how I love cheese)

1 lb of pasta

2 heads of broccoli cut into florets
1-2 teaspoons of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat your oven  to 450 for the broccoli and set a pot of water to boil for the pasta.

2. Put the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cut the pancetta/procuitto and put it the skillet to cook until JUST crispy.

3. While the meat is cooking chop the broccoli and put in a pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then put in the oven to roast for about 15 minutes.

4. When the meat is just crispy add the wine, pepper, and garlic and cook until the wine has reduced to about 2 tablespoons. I don't always cook it that long, depends on how much "sauce" I want.

5. Make sure to add the pasta to the water when it is at a boil and check how long to cook it per its box. I use any and all pasta for the most part.

6. While the pasta cooks, add the eggs to your serving dish with the cheese. Scramble, or whisk it together.

7. Once the pasta is ready drain it and then immediately put in the serving dish and mix with the cheese mixture. This part is key to cook the egg in the pasta. Then add the broccoli and the procuitto/pancetta mixture. Grate more cheese to serve and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am truly delighted to read this post which contains plenty of helpful facts, thanks for providing these data. Great article, exactly what I needed
    . Beerbox Hat

    ReplyDelete