Friday, September 4, 2009

Browned butter pasta

I think you guys are going to say, jeez Tammy! So many posts! What can I say? This blog is fun. =)

Yesterday I made pasta with mushrooms, broccoli and browned butter. Browned butter gives the pasta a nutty flavor. This pasta is versatile...choose whatever kind of pasta you want. This time, I used linguini. You can use whatever meat and vegetables you'd like.

Ingredients:

1 head of broccoli
1 pint of mushrooms, sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
10 ounces pasta of your choice
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
salt and pepper


1. Cut your broccoli into smaller pieces. Here are step by step pictures for you, Lien:








I also try to use some of the stems to reduce waste. Slice the stem very thinly and discard the thicker trunk of the broccoli.

2. Cook the broccoli. I cooked them by microwaving in a covered container for 1 minute. You know when the broccoli is cooked because it will turn a darker, deeper green. Or you can just eat a piece...that's what I do.

3. Wash your mushrooms. I do this my wash each one by running it under water while I scrub it. Then I place the clean one in a strainer, or something to drain excess water.

4. Cut off the tip of the mushrooms stem and discard it. Turn the mushroom on its side and slice.


5. When are you almost done slicing the mushrooms, heat a pot with some olive oil on medium-high heat.

6. When the oil is heated, cook a little bit of the mushrooms at a time. Make sure that each mushroom has contact with the bottom of the pot. If you cook too many mushrooms at once, a lot of water is going to come out, and the mushrooms won't brown.



7. When your batch of mushrooms have brown, place them aside (you can add them with the broccoli). Continue to cook the mushrooms in batches until browned.



8. I used the same pot to boil water for my pasta. Remember to add some salt into the water to flavor the pasta. Then, cook your pasta for around 8 minutes.

9. While you are waiting for the water to boil, mince your garlic. Here is one way to mince garlic. Make slices into the garlic clove that are parallel to the board. Don't slice all the way through the garlic clove.


10. Then make slices into the clove perpendicular to the board, again not slicing all the way through.


11. Run your knife through the clove and taa-daa! it's minced.


12. Take your butter and cut into cubes to speed up the melting. Heat on medium heat until melted.


13. When it is fully melted, add your garlic.


14. Heat until the butter is nutty and browned. You may need to stir occasionally.


15. After you drain your pasta, mix everything together in the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Yummo (and sorry the final picture is blurry)!

1 comment:

  1. Haha. It's all good Tammy! I love our blog too! I've got a lot of posts to post too. And now I want to make some browned butter pasta :D

    ReplyDelete