Friday, September 4, 2009

Flan

I attempted to make flan the same day that I made lasagna. Cindy wanted flan, so I made some. I tried out a new recipe, but in the end, the texture was too dense. The original recipe I'm posting is the original one that I used, but it needs tweaking.

Ingredients:

2 cups heavy cream (this was in the original recipe, but maybe 1/2 cup milk and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream will make a better flan)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 - 1/2 cup caramel, depending on how much caramel you like

1. Take out four or five ramekins (I took out six because I wasn't sure how many I would need). You could also use a pan instead of ramekins. Or mugs, I suppose. Place them in a baking dish and pour caramel on the ramekins.


2. Preheat your oven to 325. Boil 5 cups of water in a kettle.

3. Place heavy cream in a small pot. Heat on medium until it barely starts to bubble, then remove from heat.

4. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until mixed. Add the sugar and whisk until the sugar is fully incorporated.


5. Use a ladle to slowly add the hot cream into the egg mixture. Make sure to keep whisking, otherwise the eggs will start cooking and scrambling. When the bowl feels warm, it's okay to dump the rest of the hot cream into the mixing bowl. Then, add the vanilla.



6. Ladle the mixture through a strainer. Pour slowly to minimize bubbles. I try to pop any bubbles that I see.


7. Pour the hot water into the baking dish, around the ramekins. This is the water bath to help cook this evenly.


8. Bake in the oven at 325 for about 45 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a knife halfway between the center and the edge of the circle. If the knife comes out clean, it is done.


9. Let the flan cool completely before chilling in the refrigerator.

10. To plate the flan, run a knife around the edges (my sister doesn't do this, so that makes this optional).


11. Turn a plate upside down, then put the upside down plate on top of the ramekin. Flip the ramekin over so that the flan ends up on the plate.


It tasted good, but the texture was off. It was way too dense, which is why I'll try it with some milk next time to thin out the mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment